Day 36: The Grouch (6/27)


Today being Sunday, we went to church. Our family is Catholic so mass last about an hour. During that hour the priest gives a homily-- a sermon, usually on a Biblical topic and usually of a non doctrinal nature. The homily was about Oscar the Grouch. 

He talked about how life is all about attitude. Oscar the Grouch chooses to be the grouch that he is and that other people's attitude towards life is also their choice. He stated that those who don't like what's happening in their life can change it by the attitude they adopt.

What's this have to do with me you ask?

My father's attitude towards life is a bit pessimistic. He can always find the worst in any situation. If you can point out all the positive points about something/someone, my dad can point out every negative point. We have grown up with his, to say the least, bleak attitude all our life; we are used to it.

We joke his attitude all the time; so when Father Mikus mentioned the Oscar the Grouch like attitude, my mom and I both looked at each other and smiled.

After mass, we went out to eat at the Rock Cafe. During the meal, Sami Jo and I decided that Dad's name for the day was "Oscar."

When our food came, my dad, Sami Jo and I all had hash browns. Sam drew a heart with her ketchup, I drew a baseball and "Oscar" drew a frowny face!!


No comments:

Post a Comment