Day 32: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (6/23)


 
As you may know I love to read and now that it's summer, I have a bit more time on my hands to do so. Of course, not as much time as I have in the past now that Gavin's here. However, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Back to The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, I was visiting with Sharman, Rennie's aunt, when she mentioned that she just got through reading this amazing  book. Unless it's a well know author/book I am somewhat skeptical on exactly what amazing means, so on Sunday when we dropped off Gavin she handed me The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Here is how the jacket reads (the summary):

Harriet Vanger, scion of one Sweden's wealthiest families, disappears over forty years ago. All these years later, her aged uncle continues to see the truth. He hires Mikael Blomkvist, a crusading journalist recently trapped by a libel conviction, to investigate. He is aided by the pierced and tattooed punk prodigy Lisbeth Salander. Together they tap into a vein of unfathomable iniquity and astonishing corruption.

Honestly, to me, I got lost in the mumbo-jumbo the first time I read it and had to read it a second time through. I do pride myself on my ability to read and comprehend well so admitting this was a little difficult for me. I thought it sounded OK not all that interesting but I thought I would try it anyway because it was recommended to me.

IT BLEW ME AWAY!! I LOVED IT.

I am sure that I say that often enough with books but this time I truly mean it. I was kept guessing until the end and I couldn't read it fast enough to figure out what happens. In most books you can see the story line and where it is going but in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo it was unapparent until the end what was going to happen.

I really only suggest books to people that I know many different kinds of readers my like. I don't go around saying, "OMG, you need to read this!" after every book I read but this one is a definite MUST-READ. There are, as far as I know, two more book in the series. I believe the author died shortly after finishing the third book, I may be wrong. But I know that you read the first book you're going to want to read the second two. I have already ordered the second book off of Barnes and Noble's website and am patiently waiting for the book to arrive.

Please let me know if you read or are reading any of Stieg Larsson's series right now. I love talking about good books and rarely get to do so.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for recommending this book. sounds good & i need a new one to read. hopefully they will have it at our library!

    ReplyDelete