Day 11: Summer Reading (6/2)


A quick thanks to my husband who bought me these books without having to be asked! :)

I love to read, absolutely love it. If anyone ever asked what I do with my spare time I READ!! I like to say that I can read anything and most of the times it's true but there are a few genres that I just can't get into: autobiographies, biographies, lots of non-fiction (I figures that if I am going to spend my time reading why not read something not real), lots of classics (just because they are difficult to read and I want a quick, easy read) and documentary books.

 It literally drives Rennie and my family nuts. They don't understand the pleasure I get from reading. I once had the following conversation with my husband.

Emily: Can we please stop at Barnes and Nobles? (I have a gift card and haven't totally used it up.)
Rennie: For what?
Emily: There's this book I want.
Rennie: There's always a book you want.
Emily: True but there's a specific book I want right now.
Rennie: OK we'll stop by.
(I love him so much because he doesn't get it but helps out with my addiction!)
Rennie: Why do you like to read?

(I've been asked this question numerous times before, by my dad, sisters, grandparents and Rennie. This is the best way that I can describe it to those of you that don't read.)

Emily: Well it's entertaining to me. It's like watching your favorite weekly show but instead of watching only half of an hour or an hour you get to see the entire serious without a hiatus, or weekly breaks. You can read in a hour or two what may take years to watch. I see the same pictures that you see on TV in my head when I read.
Rennie: OK but it's still work.
Emily: It's not work if you enjoying doing it.

It's probably one of the hardest questions to answer and I am a teacher I've had some hard questions thrown at me. Every reader probably wouldn't answer it the same way I would but it helps and I usually don't get asked every time I pull out a new book.

My family knows that when I go on vacation the hardest thing for my to pack was my books.

  • Do I have enough?

  • Will I be able to get more?

  • What if I don't like the ones I bring, will I still have enough?
When I played softball at St. Gregory's I always enjoyed the long trips to play, because it gave me time to read. I usually got made fun of for reading but there have been times I have turned others into readers!

Now that I have Gavin, most of my time is devoted to him. I read less now then I have in years and it makes me sad that I don't read as much. But I can't say I would have it any other way. I don't want to be that person that chooses books over people interaction (although at times I would!!) I like to think I have a nice balance in my life that includes reading.

If you like to read non-fiction or about sports, I found this book by accident. I read it quickly and loved it. I hope that you do too.

2 comments:

  1. love checkin out your pics each day. you'll have to go check mine out. keep in mind i have no idea how to do this so my blog page looks goofy but i'm trying to figure all this out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE to read too. I could definitely give up TV, but I would be tortured if someone took away reading.

    ReplyDelete