Day 11: Lighting Bugs (6/5)


Last night, Gavin's neighborhood friends were trying to catch lighting bugs and he asked for a jar so he could catch some. After an hour of trying he came in crying because he couldn't catch any bugs. I told him that tomorrow I would help him catch some. I told him the best time to try would be right when it starts to get dark.

Today, when it was dusk, Gavin came in and reminded me and we got a big jar. At first he wanted to catch just one but after catching on rather quickly, he decided he need four. I taught him how to catch them and put them in the jar. It was so fun. Rennie even came outside to watch and helped find them. We did catch the four that Gavin wanted and when we were coming back to the house Rennie asked Gavin what he was going to do with the light bugs and Gavin said, "I'm going to let them go." Rennie asked when and Gavin said right now. He opened the jar and let them out. 

Gavin is such a kind hearted kid. He didn't even want to keep the lighting bugs in the jar for very  long because they didn't have food. I can't imagine any other kid working so hard to catch the bugs only to let them go minutes later. He just wanted to catch them. He amazes me with the thoughts that go through his head and how kind and loving he is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment