Day 103: Stocking the Fish Tank (2/13)


Every once and a while we head to PetSmart {one of my Facebook friends called it the local zoo and I liked that!} and have some fun looking at all the animals and petting whatever poor dog crosses Gavin's path. 

Today we actually had to buy something. We needed a new filter for our fish tank and some new algae eaters {as ours have died.} 

PetSmart was having a sale on small fish tank decor so I gave Gavin a choice between a few items. Here is how our conversation went: 

Me: "Gavin, which one do you want to put in our fish tank? A helicopter or a ball?"
Gavin: "Ummm, ball and helicopter."
Me: "OK but you can only have one. Which one?"
Gavin: "Both."
Me: "No, pick only the ball or the helicopter." {As I hold up each item as I say it's name.}
Gavin: {Reaching for both.} "Ball..... helicopter."
Me: "Yes, that's what they are. Which one do you want to take home?'
Gavin: {Reaching for ball} "Helicopter!" {I think he was trying to confuse me and get both!}
Me: "No, Gavin, we can only take ONE home to our fish. Do you want to take the ball or the helicopter to put in the fish tank?"
Gavin: {finally reaching for} "The helicopter!"
Me: "Yea! Good choice!"

After walking around the store and Gavin desperately holding on to his helicopter we get in line to check out.  We are next in line and Gavin says, "No, Mommy, no helicopter. Gavin want the ball!" {He likes to talk in third person...}

Dang, so close!!

So we go back to the aisle and Gavin on his own puts down his helicopter and picks out his beach ball. I rush to the line and check out before he can change his mind. {I think I would of ended up buying both at this point!} He held that beach ball all the way home and ran to Rennie when we got home and they put it into his fish tank. He was so proud! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment